Village Views

Village sign on the north end of the Village Green

Read more »
Village Views

Village Views

St. Ethelberts - A 14th century Church with many fine historical features.

Read more »
Village Views

Village Views

Play Area on the East side of the Village Green

Village Views

Village Views

Hessett Allotments

Village Views

Village Views

Five Bells Public House 2016

Village Views

Village Views

1st WW Memorial Cross in the grounds of St. Ethelbert.

Village Views

Village Views

Play Area on the East side of the Village Green

Village Views

Village Views

Hessett and Beyton Village Hall

Village Views

Village Views

West side of the Village Green

Village Views

Village Views

Recycling Facilities on the Village Green - For Glass and Paper

Village Views

Village Views

Lime Tree Close Green with listed Lime tree

Village Views

Village Views

Relaxing in Hessett Allotments - Access via footpath in Heath Road near to Heath Close

Village Views

Village Views

The Heath - A great place to walk - Accessed via a footpath from Heath Road close to Heath Close

Village Views

Village Views

The Heath - another view

Village Views

Welcome to Hessett Parish Council Website

The village of Hessett has existed for many hundreds of years (see history below).
The Parish Council came into existence in 1894.

To see all relevant information for Hessett Parish Council please click on the tab
marked PARISH COUNCIL.

 

Hessett is a small village with a population of approximately 500.
There has been a village on this site for over 1000 years.
The earliest mention was in AD 1005 when Ulfketel gave the villages of Hessett,
Beyton and Rougham to the Abbey in Bury St Edmunds.
The population was recorded as 323 in 1801; by 1851 it had increased to 487.
With the slow decline of agriculture, the population fell to 285 in 1951.
During the 1950’s many thatched cottages were demolished.
From medieval times the Bacon family were Lords of the manor and lived at Hessett Hall, a moated site north of Heath Road.
The Bacon family were succeeded by the LeHeups in the 17th century.
Hessett Hall burnt down in the mid 18th century and has not been rebuilt.
The Five Bells Public House (reflecting the number of bells in the church) was built in the 14th century – the same time as the church, which is unusually fine even for a Suffolk village. 

The Parish of Hessett is in the Local Government area of Mid Suffolk District Council

 

The website is under continuous development and the Parish Council would be extremely grateful for feedback from villagers on style and content.  
Please contact the
Parish Clerk. Details on the Council Page.

Updated November 2017

We are here...

52.221 0.834

Events Calendar

December 2017
MTWTFSS
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031