Welcome to Hessett Parish Council Website.
The Parish Council has been in existence since 1894.
All relevant information for the Parish Council can be
viewed by either clicking on PARISH COUNCIL at the top of the page
or clicking HERE.
Hessett is a village and civil parish in Mid Suffolk that sits around 7 miles east of Bury St Edmunds and just to the south of the A14 road.
The village is largely based along the main road which passes from north to south through the village centre.
Either side of this road is the village green (post code IP30 9BA) which hosts a small playing field and a play area.
In the north of the village you will find the village hall (post code IP30 9AZ) which is next door to the parish church of St Ethelbert (post code IP30 9AX).
Across from the church is the Five Bells pub although this has been recently closed.
Hessett is a small village with a population of approximately 500.
There has been a village on this site for over 1000 years.
The earliest mention was in AD 1005 when Ulfketel gave the villages of Hessett, Beyton and Rougham to the Abbey in Bury St Edmunds.
The population was recorded as 323 in 1801; by 1851 it had increased to 487.
With the slow decline of agriculture, the population fell to 285 in 1951.
During the 1950's many thatched cottages were demolished.
From medieval times the Bacon family were Lords of the manor and lived at Hessett Hall, a moated site north of Heath Road.
The Bacon family were succeeded by the LeHeups in the 17th century.
Hessett Hall burnt down in the mid 18th century and has not been rebuilt.
The Five Bells Public House (reflecting the number of bells in the church) was built in the 14th century - the same time as the church, which is unusually fine even for a Suffolk village.
The Parish of Hessett is in the Local Government
area of Mid Suffolk District Council
The website is under continuous development and the Parish Council would be extremely grateful for feedback from villagers on style and content.
Please contact the Parish Clerk. Details on the Council Page.
Updated November 2017